Even for a short drive in your sublime new car, your child must travel in a car seat that is age, weight and morphological.
In a collision, a poorly attached child can turn into a real shot. To travel safely, he needs a registered seat. There are currently 2 regulations that coexist: the ECE R44 / 04 valid until 2021 and the new I-size standard since 2013.
Regulation ECE R44 / 04
It classifies car seats into groups, depending on the weight of the child:
- A gondola group 0: from birth to 10 kg. From 0 to 6 months. Designed to serve as a baby car bed, it installs parallel to the back seat back and is secured by 2 seat belts (kit supplied by each manufacturer). The child is held by the belt or integrated harness.
- A group 0 + car seat: from birth to 13 kg. Up to 12 months. Placed back to the road, at the front (unless there is an Airbag) or at the rear of the car, they can carry your toddler in a semi-recumbent position. It is fixed with the seatbelt or with a base (Isofix or not). The child is maintained by a 3 or 5 point adjustable harness.
- A car seat group 0 + / 1: from birth to 18 kg. Up to 4 years old. Usable back to the road up to 13 kg, then facing the road (at the rear of the vehicle). Whether it has a base or not, it is fixed with the seatbelt or the Isofix system. The child is held at the shoulders and pelvis by an adjustable harness.
- A group 1 car seat: from 9 to 18 kg. From 9 to 4 years old. It attaches to the back of the car using the safety belt and your baby is properly maintained at the shoulders and pelvis with a 5-point harness.
- A car seat group 1/2/3: from 9 to 36 kg. From 9 months to 10 years old. Usable facing the road, at the rear of the vehicle. It is fixed with the seat belt and the child is held by a shield or harness up to 18 kg, then by the belt.
- A car seat group 2/3: from 15 to 36 kg. From 3 to 12 years old. Usable facing the road, at the rear of the vehicle. It is fixed with the 3-point belt of your car or with the Isofix system. The child is held with the seatbelt.
The standard UN R129 (I-size)
- Set up in July 2013, it will gradually replace the previous standard.
- As for clothing, it is based on the size of the child to determine if the seat is suitable. There are no classifications by groups with this new standard.
- Back-to-road use is mandatory for up to 15 months and the mandatory isofix system.
Check the correct attachment of the car seat
- Once a month, check that the seat is hooked to the seat by pulling the seat forward.
- The belt must be perfectly tight. Otherwise, she may not hold your child in shock.
- If your young passenger is attaching on their own (this is the case for 4-5 year olds in a booster seat), always check that the seat belt is adjusted.
- You must barely be able to lay your hand flat between your child's belly and the strap.
- For more information: www2.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr
The Isofix standard: the top in car seat
It is an installation system equipped with rigid anchoring points, simple and easy to install. In a collision, the risk of injury is reduced because the lateral and frontal movements of the seat are reduced.